Broken Brake Sensor

jdanger

Hey everyone, looking for some help. Was doing the front brakes for the first time on our 94 ls400 and the brake sensor on the driver side broke off. I am talking about the wire that plugs into the pads to indicate they are worn.

Question I guess is what are my options? For now I just taped the end with electrical tape but would like to fix it right.

Can I buy just the wire or is it more invloved than that? Any help would be appreciated since Napa or Checker seem to have no clue and I am not very mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Hey everyone, looking for some help. Was doing the front brakes for the first time on our 94 ls400 and the brake sensor on the driver side broke off. I am talking about the wire that plugs into the pads to indicate they are worn.

Question I guess is what are my options? For now I just taped the end with electrical tape but would like to fix it right.

Can I buy just the wire or is it more invloved than that? Any help would be appreciated since Napa or Checker seem to have no clue and I am not very mechanically inclined. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Joe, is it possible for you to solder it? Thats what I would do, cause all that vibration would definetly lose the electrical tape you have now.

I called the dealer about this when mine broke and they want a whopping $89ca for each one.

I found myself a few at a boneyard near me. They just "threw it in" when I bought a caliper bracket for $30ca (at the dealer that bracket is $177)

The people there have no idea that those are worth...they just look like a short wire.

You could do what I did in the mean while and just tie them off to close the circuit so the light isnt on on your dash.

Soldering would not really be an option because if the wire broke like mine had, it's broken right up against the plastic case of the sensor where you cant even see the wire anymore.

Other than that you're pretty much looking at replacement through the dealer or a boneyard.

PS: As for as I know, any Lexus would use the same sensor so you shouldn't have to find an LS particularly to get replacements.