Fuel Injectors - Help - Brittle/cracked Plastic On Bottom Before Seal

jsp

I just rebuilt my starter motor for my ‘92 LS400 at 100k miles. To access the starter motor, as people here know, I had to remove the throttle housing, intake manifold, fuel bars, and injectors. I am now ready to put my new rebuilt starter motor back in (cost less than $30 for rebuild kit/copper contacts and took 10 minutes). I purchased the gaskets and new fuel injector seals. However, at the bottom of the fuel injectors where it connects with the intake manifold, there is a thin plastic layer or cap on the fuel injector between it and the rubber seals. When I removed the injectors, the plastic linings were brittle and cracked, they fell apart when pulling out the injectors and/or removing the old bottom seals. I thought it could be replaced, but to my surprise find that there is no part and the plastic cap is not part of the seal set. I do not want to blow $400 on new fuel injectors, mine worked fine. Without the plastic layer cap, the rubber seal has a gap between it and the injector bottom. Does anyone know anywhere I can purchase the plastic caps which go on the bottom of the fuel injectors? or could I use a different rubber seal with a smaller inside diameter? or am I totally screwed and now need to buy new fuel injectors? Someone else has to have had this problem. Thanks for any info or advice.

Those injectors are a copy of the Bosch type I believe. I have not had the injectors out of a Lexus engine, but lots of times on the European stuff. The pintle caps do have a habit of failing as you've noticed. As the lower o-ring seals against atmospheric air, it's not a problem. The seal should still crush slightly as the injector is installed. The upper seal is for fuel, and that one is the critical one.

You don't need new injectors.