Fan Clutch

cbell2323

The fan clutch seems to be easy to take off.

I still do not understand the instructions about using two wrench to remove the four bolts.

As for installing the new fan clutch, what is the recommended torque on the bolts for the fan clutch?

Also what is the torque recommendation for the bolts for the fan?

Thanks,

Since the clutch will spin when you try to remove the bolt, you need to have some force to counter the pressure used to break a bolt loose. If you use 2 wrenches, one to loosen with and the other on one of the other bolts (which will cause this bolt to tighten), you can apply enough force to break the bolt loose. Whew :wacko: , hopefully that made sense. When you get to the last bolt, use one of the other bolts that haven't been removed (but have been broken loose) as leverage for this last bolt.

Can't help with the torque specs. It'd be tough to get a torque wrench on the clutch bolts anyway. I just tightened them down good and tight.

Hope that helps.

LarryP,

Once I started to take the fan clutch out, I realized why you would use 2 wrenches hehe..

I was able to get 3 bolts off without any problems. I just used a flat head screw driver to help get the fourth one off.

Was lucky that the bolts where not that tight. As for torque, I agree with you. I just got them good and tight.

The replacement part was really nice, it had more clearance and easier to get the wrench in the space to tighten to bolts.

Automotive place wanted 375 bucks to do the work. I bought the fan clutch for 57 bucks and did it myself!

Thanks!