94 Es300

csegard

Hello all a newbie here,

Recently purchased a 94 Lexus ES300. The owner mentioned that they had spent $59.00 to get the OBD data as the MIL light would go on when gas was low and would go off 2 trips after a full tank. The test revealed P0402. Sure enough it did the same thing for me but is now on all the time. I removed and cleaned junk out of the EGR to intake area, still did not help. Inspected the gas cap, charcoal canister, most of the vacuum tube connections and tubes. Still did not help. Removed and inspected the EGR Vacuum Modulator and it seems to be functioning normally and actually looks quite new. Removed the EGR valve and it seems to operate without sticking or hangups, re-installed but still did not help.

No hesitation at idle or other engine speeds, bummer as this would give me some indication of a problem.

Autozone and Advanced Autoparts in my area do not have the correct plug to get the ODB data. So am out of luck there. And still going off the data that was given from the repair shop but have no desire to return for a second read at $59.00.

Read extensively about this on your posts. It seems that the repair shop wanted $349.00 to fix the issue so I assume they were going to place a new EGR on the system.

Perhaps my next step is to purchase a vacuum gauge and with my DVOM do the specified tests in the manual right to really test each peice of the EGR puzzle right? Just looking for someone to cheer me on.

Just don't understand that the MIL went on and off with fill-ups and is now on all the time. I just can't believe that has anything to do with the EGR valve???

Thanks for any help. Your site is excellent and I have definitely read and searched what I could before asking for help.