Steering Stiff

gp1200x

Another problem trying to resolve. My power steering is stiff....seems to have stiffened up over the last two years. I know that it is harder to turn that it should be since others have commented on it.

I used sythetic (maybe Valvoline??) in it a few years ago and now I am replacing it with DEXTRON III to see if there is any difference. I removed and cleaned the PS container...cleaned the filter screen it it too... and will crack the line on the rack to try to work out all the old fluid in the system.

Belts are tight and no slippage. Are there any other filters anywhere in this system that I need to check? Any suggestions? Last time I had this problem on my Ford I replaced the rack and it was like new again....so I am thinking the rack is probably the culprit...but that's another $300 to spend...if I replace it myself too.

Another problem trying to resolve. My power steering is stiff....seems to have stiffened up over the last two years. I know that it is harder to turn that it should be since others have commented on it.

I used sythetic (maybe Valvoline??) in it a few years ago and now I am replacing it with DEXTRON III to see if there is any difference. I removed and cleaned the PS container...cleaned the filter screen it it too... and will crack the line on the rack to try to work out all the old fluid in the system.

Belts are tight and no slippage. Are there any other filters anywhere in this system that I need to check? Any suggestions? Last time I had this problem on my Ford I replaced the rack and it was like new again....so I am thinking the rack is probably the culprit...but that's another $300 to spend...if I replace it myself too.

I had the same problem with a Subaru couple of years ago and replaced the fluid with Lucas Power Steering Fluid Stop Leak. Worked great and sold the car last month with 160,000 miles on the original rack. I can only guess that it reconditioned seals etc. as stated on the bottle. Might be worth a try before doing anything major. The dealer actually told me to try it and there was no money going into his pocket for the recommendation. Good luck.