My Engine Turns Itsself Off

The last few months, I have had a strange problem with my 1992 SC400, Sometimes after running my engine a little hard (80 - 90 mph) for a short burst, when I slow down, the engine turns itsself off. It does not sputter or cough, just turns off as if I turned the ignition key off. I usually pull over to the side of the road and wait a minute or two and it starts up and runs like normal. Since, it happens on it's own schedule, I cannot reproduce the problem when I need to to show it to my mechanic.

In trying to research this error, we decided that the speed sensor Could be the problem. So I replaced that. And, it seemed to run OK for about a month. Yesterday, It turned off again. I now suspect the Engine computer may have a fault.

What do you think? I do not want to spend $800.00 plus for an ECU and just to have it fail again. So, if you have gone through anything like this, I would appreciate your input.

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

IT seems that mehullica is right.

I was out in my SC400 with my buddy, who is also my mechanic and my car would not start after stopping at PEP Brothers. I was Very thankful that Shannon was with me, because he was able to diagnose the problem immediately. It turns out to be the Fuel ECU as mehullica said. The one behind the rear drivers-side panel. I ordered one from used parts company. It will be here this week end. And on Saturday, I will put it in.

Shannon is positive that that will cure my problem. I searched on Fuel ECU here and found a lot of information.

I will keep this thread updated as I install the ECU and how it drives the next few weeks.

:D