Begginer In The Bay Area Needs Some Advice.

90es250

Hi all, i'm new to the forums and to the lexus scene. I got my first lexus which is a 1990 es250 Spring 2006. Up until i have not really had any maintanence on the car according to my knowledge since the car was bought used from a friend for a really low price.

Well as of now, the car i think has a radiator leak since the coolant i just put in dissapeared in less than a month. what im also confused about is that when i searched up the forums people were talking about putting in 2gallons of coolant and 2gallons of water but the tank for the coolant cant even hold a gallon. i understand the 1/2 1/2 rule.

In addition, i think my car needs an oil change but im wondering if i should do it by DIY or go to penzoil or something. I have no experience with cars but i would like to learn.

Also my engine light has been on for a long time, so i plan to get the oil changed to see if that solves it.

Lastly does anyone know of any good mechanics for Lexus in the Bay Area in California besides the dealers.

any useful advice is GREATLy appreciated. sorry for the huge post, i just wanan get this off my chest before i sleep and forget.

For coolant, you will need to have the system leak tested ASAP. Coolant is very bad for the environment so if it's simply leaking out that's a major no-no. If it's not leaking, then it's being ingested by the engine, most likely due to a faulty head gasket. Take it to a mechanic for a diagnosis if you can't see the leak.

50/50 is the rule if you buy Toyota long-life coolant. If you get super long-life, it's premixed, so pour just coolant into the engine.

For the oil change, I would take it to a mechanic who is willing to let you watch him work. Since you've never done it before, I think it would be best to watch someone do it before you attempt it on your own. If you're looking for a dino oil, get Havoline 5W30. It has an excellent add-pack and is under $2 per quart. If you decide to go synthetic, get Mobil 1 EP 5W30, as it is also an excellent oil. Use an OEM Toyota filter.

I would also change the transmission fluid with whatever it takes- either T-IV or Dexron III. Additionally, inspect the air filter and drive belt, and if they look worn, change them.

More likely than not the oil change is not the cause of your CEL. Your care is OBDI so you can pull the code in your driveway. It's a simple process that involves jumping 2 pins in the diagnostic conector, but you'll have to search the forums for an exact answer.

It really depends where you take it, and what's needed. Your best bet is going to be to call a few places and ask. Depending on what's wrong with the cooling system, it may be a relatively cheap fix, or it could end up being very costly. For a diagnosis of the cooling system, an oil change, and a transmission service, I would expect to pay less than $100 at a private mechanic. Another cheap item to look at that I forgot to mention is the PCV valve. It's only a few dollars and is worth changing. This is an easy DIY. As for the engine code, pull it yourself, and let me know what it comes up as.