Drivers Side Door Lock Switch

Unclebob9

I lent my 91 LS400 to my x mother-in-law, supposedly she was here for a couple of months to help out my X-wife. After 6 months she finally went home and I went and picked up my car.

Lots of little problems.

The first one I tackled was the button on the drivers side door lock had broken off. Seemed like no big deal, but when I took it out, it is one unit with the window controls. Wrecking yards want $125 and up for the darn thing.

After trying to epoxy it back together and it not holding and drilling some new holes in it to try to get it to stay, I finally took the switch apart and really got into how it works.

After opening it, I could instantly see why they were so dam expensive, pretty neat set up.

Anyway, I finally got it working.

If you do take it apart, do it on a flat clean surface and beware of the tiny springs.

there are 3 push bars inside the switch. The one is the center supports the rocker switch and the ones on either side Lock and Un-Lock the doors.

The normal switch that you push on clips into 2 holes, my holes were worr completly through and no longer capable of holding the cover switch rocker in place.

I ended up giving up on trying to make it like stock and no longer use the switch cover. this left me with just the 2 buttons which worked fine except for there was nothing to hold them in and they would spring out of the switch and I woul dhave to go hunting for them.

I opened up the switch and superglued a small piece of plastic that I cut from a audio cassette holder on the feet of each of the push buttons so that it could no longer eject. Tweezers helps alot because the dam super glue works best on fingers! It also takes about 30 minutes to dry on plastic, unless you are glueing it to your fingers in which case it dries instantly!.

It is back in the car and working great now.

Bob