91' Es 250 Stereo Removal

tlacass

hello everyone. this site is great. so much info for someone new to lexus. so here is the problem.

basically, i bought my 91 Es250 off a friend after the car had been stolen. the car runs great. had to get the

steering column replaced. the only problem that remains is that i think when the car jackers put a screw driver through the steering clumn, they activated some sort of security lock on the stereo. now the stereo won't work. the LCD screen reads SEC (i'm guessing short for security or something). anyway, i heard that retrieving the security code would be next to impossible without going to the dealer. so basically what i'm asking is is there any default security code or should i just buy a new CD player? also, if i have to buy a CD player, does anyone know how to install or remove a CD player for 91' Es 250? well thanks for your time guys. any help would be appreciated.

:cheers:

Taylor

hello everyone. this site is great. so much info for someone new to lexus. so here is the problem.

basically, i bought my 91 Es250 off a friend after the car had been stolen. the car runs great. had to get the

steering column replaced. the only problem that remains is that i think when the car jackers put a screw driver through the steering clumn, they activated some sort of security lock on the stereo. now the stereo won't work. the LCD screen reads SEC (i'm guessing short for security or something). anyway, i heard that retrieving the security code would be next to impossible without going to the dealer. so basically what i'm asking is is there any default security code or should i just buy a new CD player? also, if i have to buy a CD player, does anyone know how to install or remove a CD player for 91' Es 250? well thanks for your time guys. any help would be appreciated.

:cheers:

Taylor

Have you tried entering "000" or "123" or "999" as the code? You might hit it lucky, if it was set to a default code number. If that doesn't work, then as you stated, AFAIK, the only way to get it working again is a rather expensive trip to the dealership. Keep in mind that you only have 10 tries at successfully entering codes - make more than 10 errors and the system will lock up completely - another little security feature. But I guess in your case, that doesn't really matter does it, since it's already locked up! ;)

The friend you bought the car from doesn't have the code? If you have the owners manual, the steps necessary for entering the code are in there. If you don't know the steps, I can probably help out, if they are the same as for the 2nd generation (1992-1996).

As far as removing the head unit goes, try searching the forums. You should be able to find info on the procedure.