Master Cylinder, Booster, Abs

mrbutz1

Friends,

I've learned so much good information from all of you, a couple in particular, that I'm asking a question for my little brother on a non-Lexus vehicle. I hope that's okay (especially since this problem could just as easily be on a Lexus, but I decided not to lie and say it was a Lexi when it isn't).

95 Ford Windstar, 120K miles, engine three years old, brakes non-operational.

Diagnosis from shop in Portland, OR:

master cylinder gone, been leaking fluid into brake booster.

Once master cylinder replaced (this is known for sure), can see if booster needs replace due to fluid leaking.

Once master cylinder and booster functional, ABS might or might NOT work.

Question: does this diagnosis make sense?

Question: Can a car be driven with master cylinder and booster ok, but ABS non-functional? (This alone would be a $2K repair.)

THANK YOU!!

--mrb

The way every ABS works that I know of. It's just a large brake fluid pump, and a set of solenoids that close off pressure to the brake lines (On older systems it may just be front axle/rear axle, or front specific wheels VS rear axle). If the ABS system fails, you're left with virtually a normal brake setup.

If they say the master cylinder is leaking, it needs replacing & go from there.

The way every ABS works that I know of. It's just a large brake fluid pump, and a set of solenoids that close off pressure to the brake lines (On older systems it may just be front axle/rear axle, or front specific wheels VS rear axle). If the ABS system fails, you're left with virtually a normal brake setup.

If they say the master cylinder is leaking, it needs replacing & go from there.

If I'm understanding you correctly...if the cylinder (and booster if necessary) are replaced and functional, the ABS can be left non-operational and the vehicle can be operated safely. You'd still have power brakes, just no ABS safety system.