Acetooooooooooone...you Wonderful Chemical!

mrbutz1

In my continuing quest to improve the mileage on my 94 ES, I finally gave acetone in the gas tank a try. I ran nearly a full tank, adding acetone to equal 2oz. per 10 gallons in the tank. From an average over the course of the last two months (about five tanks) of 14.6 mpg, I shot up to 17.6 mpg. Same driving conditions, no other changes. I'll continue to verify over the next several tanks, but WOW!...what an improvement!

Sadly, some power on acceleration has been lost, but I am willing to give a little boost up for saving $$ at the pump...this also means I get to keep the Lexi and my wife won't force me to drive our Civic instead! With gas in Chicago $3 a gallon my "but I like it better than the Honda" argument was pretty weak.

Question: is some loss of power to be expected? Should I increase the concentration to 3 oz. per 10 gallons to get more fuel efficiency...I know there is a leveling off point.

So, have done two Seafoam treatments (via brake booster), Seafoam in gas and oil, manually cleaned tb and maf, replaced gas cap, and increased air pressure in tires.

But it was the acetone that ramped it up.

I recommend it.

Not that I know (Power loss). Check the fuel pressure LoL! Does the torque convertor lock-up? We've talked so many times, and I always forget. How are the o2 sensors & fuel injectors.

$3 a gallon, sheesh. Gas is down under 2.30 here. (And yet another, "hey here's what our gas prices are" thread has been started lol!)

Not that I know (Power loss). Check the fuel pressure LoL! Does the torque convertor lock-up? We've talked so many times, and I always forget. How are the o2 sensors & fuel injectors.

$3 a gallon, sheesh. Gas is down under 2.30 here. (And yet another, "hey here's what our gas prices are" thread has been started lol!)

Replaced 1 of 2 O2 sensors and CEL has not come on since that time so I assume they are okay. Have not checked injectors (due to $$ constraints). When I have the plugs changed in the next couple weeks I'll ask them to see if the cylinders are wet (or something like that if I'm remembering correctly, to indicate a possible injector stuck open.)

$2.30 a gallon...at that price I could take a bath in gasoline and not feel bad! Well...maybe not.