Instrument Gauges Blacking Out

vman1100

Finally - This is a problem I have been after for quite a while now. The instrument needles on the gauge cluster have been blacking out and coming back on for months now. I had the needles replaced but no help. I had become expert at pulling the instrument cluster and trying different things. A local car wash guy noticed what was happening one day and suggested that I check near the shift unit. This is a 1993 SC300 - 5 Speed. Sure enough, I pulled the shifter cover and found an electrical cable trunk line runs along the top of the transmission cover into the main dash unit. This trunk cable was lodged between the rows of the rubber shifter cover on the transmission cover. It would move everytiem the shift lever moved. I relocated theis cable to be below the rubber cover ans sitting solidly on the transmission cover where any shifter movement will not affect the cable. Lo and behold - the problem went away. This was simply amazing. This problem had kept me from really enjoying this car for a long, long time. Now I am so happy I need to share this info with anyone else who may be experiencing the same problem. Now I can truly experience just how good this car is. . .

If this helps even one other driver, then I would be elated.

Better late than never...