Considering Buying This 97 Es300.. Need Repair Estimates

ProV1

ebay item#150029355953

looks like the car has several issues - could you take a look, and then let me know rough estimates on repairing the issues???

rattling front end

no radio display

traction control & ABs lights on

are these major repairs or minor?? thanks

First off, ABS and traction lights coming on is not normal. It likely means that a sensor is off. Saying it's normal is like saying it's normal for older cars to have transmission problems. Well, yeah, that's obvious because they have been driven more. But it doens't mean they're inordinantly prone to higher rates of failure just because they're older. All parts wear out eventually. The cost of this repair ranges so you really need to find out what exactly is wrong with it. The seller should be able to bring it to a mechanic and find out what the problem is, at the very least.

Second, the display is an easy fix. It took me an hour or so on my 97. Buy the part from Pioneer. If you want more info, do a search on these forums. This issue has been very well-documented here. Cost about $90.

Third, the rattling in the front is likely the strut mounts. Premature wear of the mounts is a common problem on this generation of ES's. So long as the struts are okay, you're fine. The mounts only provide noise insulation and I wouldn't repair them until the struts go out (that's what I'm doing with my 97). Struts, mounts, and labor for one wheel will run about $300. If you do all four, expect to pay around $1200. This is what I was quoted a few months ago.

I bought mine on eBay in July 2003 for $10k. At the time, it had 86k miles so I got a great deal, considering comparable ES's in the area were selling for at least $3k more.

Watch out for things that look suspicious and trust your gut instinct. If you think the seller is a liar, don't even consider the car. In fact, you should really have a mechanic inspect the car before it is shipped (with the assumption that you buy it). Most sellers have 30-day warranties and if the seller is lying, you might be able to catch him/her before the car is delivered to you and, thus, your "problem."

My Cardinal Rule of eBay Motors: Always be skeptical.

Good luck.