Gas Mileage, Rpm, Temp Reading. What's The Norm

jjp352

Hi again all. I'm new to this forum and the SC400. I'm wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting. Mileage to tank 1/2 highway 1/2 city? Also what are your rpms at? Mine are at 2250 at 60 mph indicated. Seems alittle higher than I would expect. And the last thing is what does your temp read. Mine is slightly above half way. Also seems a little high. I did get a loaner at the local dealer last week when I had it in for routine service and it also ran above the halfway mark. Just curious. Thanks to all! Oh yeah...93 sc400.

Hi again all. I'm new to this forum and the SC400. I'm wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting. Mileage to tank 1/2 highway 1/2 city? Also what are your rpms at? Mine are at 2250 at 60 mph indicated. Seems alittle higher than I would expect. And the last thing is what does your temp read. Mine is slightly above half way. Also seems a little high. I did get a loaner at the local dealer last week when I had it in for routine service and it also ran above the halfway mark. Just curious. Thanks to all! Oh yeah...93 sc400.

Hey, I have a 95 sc400 and i have basically the same things. My temp is just a little bit or the half way mark. my rpm are exactly the same as yours and my gas milage is only city so its 13 mpg. Which isn't great but today i got a new gas cap from lexus for $20 and i'll see what the economy is like at the next refueling. Your car seems to be fine in terms of what you mentioned.

... my gas milage is only city so its 13 mpg. ...

Whoa - 13mpg? Well, I guess driving's a bit tougher on a cars mileage going up and down a lot of slopes like you've got there in San Fran.

Mine's a '93 SC4. I was getting around 18mpg (65%highway / 35%city) - 80mph on freeways. Then a couple weeks ago I started keeping my highway speed down to 60 (I know, I know... that's "buick-driving grandma" territory. But, hey - it saves gas) and was shocked to find that i'm now getting 22.5mpg! No new gas cap yet, and still lugging around the 50lb spare + a full-sized hydrolic jack (I prefer the convenience of that to any factory scissor jack when changing a tire on the shoulder of a busy highway at night - plus it's a heck of a lot quicker to use)

1600 rpm at 70??? I'm at 2500 at 70. Anybody else with me? I know all gears are working. I count 3 shifts which puts me in 4th. My temp needle is actually just above the 2nd hash mark. I stumbled upon this 93 sc400 3 weeks ago. I couldnt believe I found a 1 owner 32,000 mile garage kept one. I knew I had to buy it. I am counting on this site to familiarize myself with all its glory...and quirks if any.

I'm around 2500 at 70 as well. . .96 sc400. I fill up by 1/4 tank and usually get about 250 to 275 miles on that depending on my driving (lead foot. . .usually takes about 12-13 gal). 1/2 city and 1/2 country. I usually drive around 75 or so. I love the car and the milage isn't too much of a big deal. Used to a v6 3800 in my 2002 Grand Prix GT, but this car drives so much better even for a car with twice the miles and twice the age. Actually, I bought the GP GT new and it didn't drive this good even new. I don't know about the GS400. I have a friend with a 2000 gs300 with 150000 miles and it rides a little softer than my car. My car has 209500 miles on it now. I drove it to St. Louis and Florida this summer (wouldn't even think about using the GP, my butt starts hurting in it after 3 hrs.).

Yeah, this topic has come up before and everyone else's engine speed is a lot higher than mine. I tell no lie, my rpms are below 2000 rpm @70mph. On a flat road (highway) doing 70mph my rpms are at about 1600. Why am I the only one with rpms this low? Car drives great and nothing is abnormal. Just very curious as to why this is (thats a pretty significant difference almost 1000 rpms). Anyone know or care to explain?

You think you might have accidentally gotten an ls400 rearend or something like that? I could see how they could be mistaken, but I don't know the gear ratio for all the other lexus cars that have this same engine. I wish mine had the same setup as yours, I'd probably get a few mpg better.