Too Clean Or Not To Clean That Is The Question

OK i got error code 63 (#2 shift solenoid). OK now dealer wants 196.00 for a new one. if any body knows where i can get one for less please let me know. i read Rostra.com (in a post) has #1 and #2 solenoid for 125.00 or 150.00, so I'm calling in the morning(if any body wants it 1-800-782-3379) and we'll see how that goes. but of course no high hopes.

when i cleaned my filter i saw them, solenoids, and i have an SC manual.

my mane question is should i fork over the money(196.00 for just the 1) or will a good cleaning do the job? I read in a post it helped 2 people.

cleaning-free.......new part-196.00

i know it's not that much, but free sounds a lot better

thanks to all that help

I would clean it first. Do a transmission system flush. Drop the pan. Clean the solenoid and magnets. Change the gasket and filter. Do one more transmission system flush. Fill with brand new synthetic tranny oil. Run the car and it should start cleaning itself. Replacing the part should be done when all free routes are taken.

my car had the worst tran fluid i had ever seen when i got it. so i change the tran every time i do oil. i cleaned the filter, not replaced. and i only use t-vi on synthetic for me please. have you ever cleaned the soleniods in your 400

If you check your facts with a reputable mechanic, he'll tell you that changing your tranny oil at every oil change won't do your car any good. It won't do your car bad either but its not better for your car if you do. There's a reason why tran service is set at 30,000, your tranny gears aren't in motion as much as your engine's pistons are. I change mine at every 5th oil change and thats still way too early to change. But if you have the money and it keeps your mind at rest than do it.

if you check your facts(post), i said my car had the worst trans fluid i had ever seen. very black and smelled like death. now it looks like wine and 0% death smell. that is why i change it every oil change. sc400 has an 8.2 liter capacity, drain and refile only drains about 1.6.

so 1.6 mixed in too 8.2 is not going to do the job i needed done.

anyway i know about all off that......... my question was about cleaning out my solenoids. not anything to do with transmission fluid.

so if anyone can help with my solenoid question ..... that would be just great so i can clean or replace this weekend.

please someone who has experience with this, help me with any info on solenoids?