Changing Valve Cover Gasket

The FSM for the 93 says to drain the coolant. Is this necessary? It also indicates that most of the vacuum boost hoses and hard lines have to be disconnected, injector fuel lines and the like. This sounds much more complicated than what I have read in the posts in this forum. Is there a shortcut that I am missing?

I haven't looked yet, so forgive me, but do I have to remove the plastic panel beneath the radiator to drain it?

Thanks in advance,

JM

Nope, all that has to come off for a rear VCG change is everything associated with the upper intake manifold.

The fuel lines & etc don't need to be touched. What they reffer to is the air-assist for the fuel injectors. Our engines have an extra vacuum line that runs frmo the throttlebody/IAC valve into the lower intake manifold to help atomize the fuel coming out of the injector.

You don't have to drain the coolant, but the reason they suggest it is that the EGR pipe is coolant cooled under the manifold, then the warm coolant routes to the throttlebody.

It'll syphon coolant out for awhile if you don't drain it.

You don't have to drain the coolant, but the reason they suggest it is that the EGR pipe is coolant cooled under the manifold, then the warm coolant routes to the throttlebody.

It'll syphon coolant out for awhile if you don't drain it.

So does it make sense to drain it partially? And the FSM shows a drain plug on the block for the coolant. What purpose does that serve, sinc they show it in the diagram as being half way up the block?

Thanks,

JM

2003 ES300