Brake Problem

My '98 ES300 brakes work but will bottom out when stopping if pedal is held. The brake fluid is slightly over full and there is no leak. I am considering replacing the master cylinder. I have prices from $67-150 for the master cylinder for car with traction control(Advance Auto & NAPA). Any suggestions or comments on quality from these two sources? Have I diagnosed the problem correctly?

I will appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Start by bleeding the brakes with some new fluid.

In general, Napa (Carquest) Parts are higher quality than any other parts store. The ceveat is that most things are near OEM prices. (I.E. noticeably higher than other store chains).

Personally, I would check the vacuum assist & master cylinder if you swear there is no leak & no air in the system.

I don't know you, or how long you've driven that car (and Toyota's in general) but make sure it's not in your head also.

Non Toyota sports car brakes have built in exponential in their travel so "morons" can properly stop a car without giving people whiplash. If you apply the pedal quickly, it will be as stiff as any sport car. Don't like it, buy a car with brakes that are hard to use in day-to-day driving, and should be found on a Nissan.

To review. If the pedal is moving quickly, you will get stiff brakes. That does not mean slam the brakes, or shove the pedal through the firewall.

Just a side note I like to throw in when talking about low break pedals. 99% of the time, it's just someone that has 0 experiance in driving a proper brake setup for a road car!!!

Start by bleeding the brakes with some new fluid.

In general, Napa (Carquest) Parts are higher quality than any other parts store. The ceveat is that most things are near OEM prices. (I.E. noticeably higher than other store chains).

Personally, I would check the vacuum assist & master cylinder if you swear there is no leak & no air in the system.

I don't know you, or how long you've driven that car (and Toyota's in general) but make sure it's not in your head also.

Non Toyota sports car brakes have built in exponential in their travel so "morons" can properly stop a car without giving people whiplash. If you apply the pedal quickly, it will be as stiff as any sport car. Don't like it, buy a car with brakes that are hard to use in day-to-day driving, and should be found on a Nissan.

To review. If the pedal is moving quickly, you will get stiff brakes. That does not mean slam the brakes, or shove the pedal through the firewall.

Just a side note I like to throw in when talking about low break pedals. 99% of the time, it's just someone that has 0 experiance in driving a proper brake setup for a road car!!!