Suggestions For 1996 Sc400

Well, for now I'll just live with it until I can take the dash apart. As for the timing belt. It should be good for another 90000 miles, so 1000 dollars isn't too bad. Thats only 1 cent per mile additional operating cost.

I wonder how many miles I can get out of this engine and transmission before it starts to have major problems. Also, is it normal to hear a slight ticking sound from under the car at idle? increases in frequency when rpms increase.

No. I know what that would sound like (metal expanding and retracting). This varies with the rpm (faster tick, not loud and can't hear it with door closed, when reving engine. . .slower when just idling). Cant really hear it as loudly when listening under the engine bay hood either. What someone said is it could be main bearings. I wonder if that could produce a rattling sound when coasting too (doesn't rattle when I totally take foot off gas or if I make the transmission engage and give it a load, only rattles when I have barely any gas pressed like when coasting on a flat surface). I know its hard when you don't hear what I do. The dealership told me not to worry about it, but I'm a fanatic when it comes to my car. I don't like any extra vibrations, noises, or otherwise. I will be getting a second opinion next week from a non-dealership mechanic. I'll see what they say.

BTW, it sounds like the rattle comes from directly below the shifter or so. This is close to where the ticking sounds like it comes from.