Steering Behaving Funny

Hi,

I just took my car to Goodyear Auto Center for alignment.

They said they can't do it since the tie rods are bad.

Recently the steering was making whining noise when turned much in either direction and the tires were skipping when making turns at slow speed. Would this be related to the bad tie rods?

Also my car behaves terribly around the trailer marks and I think it is very dangerous especially at high speed. Is this related to the bad tie rods also? Or is this some other issue? Like bad links or bad rack busings?

I would have to get the wheel alignment first to better know what to fix, but please advise.

The whining noise could be the result of a loose belt. Check the fluid level as well.

The tie rods are easy to replace and are not too costly. I replaced my tie rods and it made a big difference. Mine were also rattling when going over small bumps in the road.

The tires "slipping" at really low turning speeds has been reported by other owners as well. My tires seem to slip a bit on really smooth concrete while turning at low speeds. Since this continued after replacing the tire rods, I don't think your tie rods are the cause. I'm not even sure there is a problem.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The whining noise could be the result of a loose belt. Check the fluid level as well.

The tie rods are easy to replace and are not too costly. I replaced my tie rods and it made a big difference. Mine were also rattling when going over small bumps in the road.

The tires "slipping" at really low turning speeds has been reported by other owners as well. My tires seem to slip a bit on really smooth concrete while turning at low speeds. Since this continued after replacing the tire rods, I don't think your tie rods are the cause. I'm not even sure there is a problem.

Good luck!

Mine is 100% and STILL handles poorly, see my new post.

You may need a new steering rack (they usually come with inner tie rods attached)

The whining usually is a PS pump, not a rack but hey, anything's possible

How many miles on the car?