Finished Last Few Tuneup Items On My'94

Ross W.

Hello again everbody

Yesterday I replaced the caps & rotors and thermostat on my car. Amazing the difference that made! Not long after I bought the car I replaced the sparkplugs and wires. I did that mainly because the dealer I bought the car from set Mr. Buff & Shine upon it with a steam cleaner and filled the plug wells & plug valleys with water, ruining the plugs & wires. More than half the wires were showing no resistance, so the current was arcing across whatever gaps were in the cores. At the time I gave up trying to replace the caps and rotors. Whoever designed the plastic engine covers ought to be horsewhipped. This time around I was determined, so I got it done finally. Having the coolant hoses out of the way helped a lot. I should have changed the serpentine belt while I was there, but it's still in okay shape. I'm upgrading to an electric fan soon, so I'll do it then.

Next up are the downstream O2 sensors and I think I'll clean the IAC motor & passages. I looked at the throttle body, and it's clean enough not to bother pulling it apart at this time.

Anyway, there's my little weekend victory! My car is running much better now that the ignition is up to snuff and the engine is operating at the temperature it's supposed to. I still have an idle issue but I'll start a new thread on that.

Your car already has 2 electric fans plua one big mechanical fan. The mechanical fan free wheels most of the time at freeway speeds so it doesn't rob horsepower or gas mileage. At the opposite extreme - climbing the Cuesta Gradeon a 100 degree day in July the mechanical fan is more powerful than any aftermarket electric fan and cools the engine better.

Your car already has 2 electric fans plua one big mechanical fan. The mechanical fan free wheels most of the time at freeway speeds so it doesn't rob horsepower or gas mileage. At the opposite extreme - climbing the Cuesta Gradeon a 100 degree day in July the mechanical fan is more powerful than any aftermarket electric fan and cools the engine better.

I've considered that, but even when the engine is relatively cool the engine driven fan still seems to pull a surprising amount of air. I've read on other chat groups putting in an electric fan frees up noticeable horsepower, but could they be eliminating a faulty fan clutch in the process? Actually with the state of tune the car is in I'm not too worried either way. And yes, the Cuesta Grade can be a challenge to cooling systems on a hot day. I live nearby, and there are summertime reports of campers burning to the ground nearly every week. :o I don't think I'll have to worry about my '94 too much though, unless I end up pulling a double-axle Airstream with it! :wacko: