Very Confusing Problem - Please Help!

OK, first off I have a 2000 GS400 with about 76K on it. It runs great however about 2 weeks ago my passenger HID headlight went out. When I turn them off and back on again they both light up but again.. the passenger headlight goes out after about 2 minutes. I brought it to the dealership to see if they could assertain if it is the bulb or the ballast. They explained that if it were the ballast that the HID's wouldn't go on at all; contrary to what I have researched here on the forum. I believe that I do have a ballast problem but the dealership just doesn't want to pay out - I have a warranty still in effect. So the dealership told me they couldn't check the ballast because they are rated at 22,000 volts, but they said they put a new HID factory bulb in there and it ran fine; didn't say how long they ran it for though. So they suggested I buy a new bulb; dealer cost $360.00 ea., no way... I went to my friend's shop and got a pair of aftermarket HID's for $200 (D2R, made for factory HID harnesses). I had the dealer install them because I couldn't get to the driver side, hardly any room. Low and behold the same s$$t is happening only sometimes the driver HID cuts out and/or the passenger HID cuts out, in any event when this happens if I turn my lights off and then on again they stay on... no cutting out at all. What gives???

I'm at my wits end. I need serious advise big-time. Can it be a connection problem? Should I disconnect the negative battery terminal to reset everything. Please help. :(