Ls400 Transmission Question

Ross W.

Hey again!

My 400's transmission is in excellent shape and well maintained, but I do wish to firm up the shifts and have quicker shifts as well. Since the transmission is ecu controlled, what can I do? I drove a same year Sc400 and that trans shifts the way I like it. Can I swap an Sc's trans ecu?

Anything at all? Tried searching but didn't find anything. I've heard of swapping in the SC controller, but what else? Shift improvement kits etc.? Something I'd really love to do is swap in a manual trans, but that would be extremely difficult I'm sure.

Hey again!

My 400's transmission is in excellent shape and well maintained, but I do wish to firm up the shifts and have quicker shifts as well. Since the transmission is ecu controlled, what can I do? I drove a same year Sc400 and that trans shifts the way I like it. Can I swap an Sc's trans ecu?

Have you tried pushing the ECT switch to PWR? This switch is located right next to the gearshift. That should accomplish what you are trying to do.

-Sam

Have you tried pushing the ECT switch to PWR? This switch is located right next to the gearshift. That should accomplish what you are trying to do.

-Sam

I use PWR mode frequently, but it only seems to raise shift points, not shift speed/quality. I did have the tranny checked out and it's within specs for everything. Maybe I'm just spoiled. My previous car was an AMC Eagle wagon, (Remember those?) with a Torqueflite 998 trans. I had it rebuilt with all the durability enhancers available, plus a shift kit, and it shifted RIGHT NOW! to the point it would bark the tires upshifting from first to second. I'm not looking for that in a Lexus of course, but I did drive an SC400 and it shifts the way my LS ought to IMO. I'll check with the guy who rebuilt my Eagle's trans. He's done LS trannies so I'm sure he'll know. But I haven't yet found out if the trans controller on a '94 is integral to the ECU or not. Driving with PWR mode on results in a noticeable loss in gas mileage I've found. Quicker, sharper shifts in normal mode is mainly what I'm after.