Dash Rattles In Center Cluster (nav, Radio, Cd Changer) - Gen. 3 Car

05silverls430

I have a few annoying rattles in my dash that are somewhere in the center area, where the nav screen, CD changer, radio control, etc. are located. One is a clicking noise that is intermittent (of course), any mostly happens when the temperature outside is on the cold side. I can stop the clicking by putting pressure on the top part of the dash, direclty above the nav screen.

The other rattle, which is more of a "buzzing" sound (not an electrical buzz, but a rattle that is easiest to describe as a buzzing noise), comes from somewhere around the left side of the CD changer. I discovered that when I open the CD changer door and put pressure on the left side of the changer, the noise will stop.

When I took the car in for service (Lexus of Glendale), I was very clear with the service tech about both noises, and even went so far as to give them a typed list of items to address (including these). The service tech stated that he has seen rattles/clicks/noises from this area, and what they usually do is pull the components out and insulate the point of contacts. So that's what I expected him to do (in fact, that's what he agreed to do).

When I picked up the car tonight, the service writer admitted that they hadn't done anything because "we couldn't duplicate it". Now I'm mad because I'm going to have to take it back in and spend extra time taking it out on the road (and freeway) to MAKE sure that they hear it.

I know that the warranty program states that they have to be able to duplicate something, but come on.... How hard can it be to remove the components and insulate them? I told them EXACTLY where the noises were coming from, and sure enough, on the drive home I could hear the buzzing noise from the CD changer area... :angry: