Camshaft Oil Control Valve

sailorjohn

in replacing the starter in my 98 ls 400 I leant against the little electrical connection to the camshaft oil control valve that sticks out the side/top of the cylinder head ( there is one on each side) - can't repair the connection as it is lost inside the valve - however does any one know if this is just an indicator light or does it actually control the valve with an electrical signal. At the moment my garage says there are no valves in North america!

ps replacing the starter was a real !Removed! - not something I would recommend to a backyard mechanic unless you have lots of time!

This is actually an electrically controlled solenoid, not sure how the engine will run with it not working! You might be able to get one used from TAP recycling in California. How many miles do you have on your car??

This is actually an electrically controlled solenoid, not sure how the engine will run with it not working! You might be able to get one used from TAP recycling in California. How many miles do you have on your car??

Just found that out - seems to be set up to vary the valve timing and lift extent using oil pressure. Still can't take a chance leaving in - would not want to blow the camshaft! - done 180,000 km - would probably last for ever. The engine must have about 30 of these types of connectors just waiting to get broken off!