2000 Gs400 - Cai Installed!

I just extended my K & N FIPK (3.5" intake piping) downward behind my wheelwell. I am extremely happy with the results. There is plenty of room down there and it's boxed off behind the wheelwell insert and the undercarraige shroud. The sound is a lot nicer, just as loud during regular driving but during WOT the sound is incredible. Outside the car it is definitely louder at WOT because the filter is now more exposed and not as muffled as before under the hood.

Driving -

At first when I reconnected the negative terminal and started it up it was the same. As soon as I took off I got nervous because the car was studdering and bogging down a lot, I thought I screwed something up big time, but I guess the ECU was just relearning the CFM coming in. Now it runs excellent! When I hit the gas it pulls right up to redline... maybe even a little further and quicker (I think it pushed my rev limiter up a little). Also, at 80 MPH my car is now at 2400 RPMs; before I think I was at around 2600 or so. It pulls so much harder and has a huge thrust as compared to my regular aftermarket intake setup. I highly recommend this DIY project! You just need to purchase 90 angle piping (must be cut down a little on the vertical straight), a piece of straight piping (cut down to about 8" or so) and two plastic/rubber pipe connectors with necessary clamps. Still to install my recently purchased Borla and Iridium plugs.

:cheers:

Nick

I was wondering when the BFI (search the SC board) would make it to the GS. I've seen questions about it lately, but nobody here seems to have taken up on it, which I always thought interesting. If it adds any value to the SC400, it should in theory to the GS 400. (I had a 95 SC400, now have a 2001 GS430)

I'm still considering the SRT intake, but if I do, I'm definitely going to create a cold air box/source somehow, and was considering doing what you just did.

Can you post some pictures, from various angles and pointing out any "tricky" parts of the fab? Thanks.

Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I just extended my K & N FIPK (3.5" intake piping) downward behind my wheelwell. I am extremely happy with the results. There is plenty of room down there and it's boxed off behind the wheelwell insert and the undercarraige shroud. The sound is a lot nicer, just as loud during regular driving but during WOT the sound is incredible. Outside the car it is definitely louder at WOT because the filter is now more exposed and not as muffled as before under the hood.

Driving -

At first when I reconnected the negative terminal and started it up it was the same. As soon as I took off I got nervous because the car was studdering and bogging down a lot, I thought I screwed something up big time, but I guess the ECU was just relearning the CFM coming in. Now it runs excellent! When I hit the gas it pulls right up to redline... maybe even a little further and quicker (I think it pushed my rev limiter up a little). Also, at 80 MPH my car is now at 2400 RPMs; before I think I was at around 2600 or so. It pulls so much harder and has a huge thrust as compared to my regular aftermarket intake setup. I highly recommend this DIY project! You just need to purchase 90 angle piping (must be cut down a little on the vertical straight), a piece of straight piping (cut down to about 8" or so) and two plastic/rubber pipe connectors with necessary clamps. Still to install my recently purchased Borla and Iridium plugs.

:cheers:

Nick