Tie Rod End-lca Bushing Leak

rtd111

While working on the steering rack, I pulled it a bit awkwardly and some grease came out of the boot connecting the LCA and the tie rod end. There isn't any visible damage to the boot itself.

Could I go another 500-1000 miles: I plan to change LCA & UCA bushings in about 3-4 weeks anyways.

Thanx.

A picture would help but from what you’re describing I wouldn't worry about it at all. In fact as long as you don't have any measurable "click" or pop from the outer tie rod then there is no need to replace it. I would bet that you can go another 50K miles without a concern.

I had a very unsettling thing that happened a few weeks back. But first let me say i changed the oil about 6 months back and checked the front end and found the left tie rod felt rough when turned. I checked for movement and found no click so i thought it should be fine for the time. I ordered a new tie rod anyway and thought i would replace it a few weeks back (months later). Anyway i jacked the car up and started taking it off. I thought i would check it again for roughness and to my amazement it just fell off the ball. I just about saw my life flash past in front of my eyes. I don't know what made me change this at this particular time but all i can think of is what if this fell off while driving. Even with the tie rod like this the car had no wander and it felt good as ever. car 1990 ls400

Wow very interesting and very scary! I wish you had a picture of this to show us because I have not heard or seen of this ever happening with a ball joint that was still tight and not clicking inside it's cavity. The only thing I can think of is that this must have been an aftermarket ball joint (they look like the the OEM from outside but internally they are not and they could possible fail in this manner).

Good, I'm glad to know that it was different, that makes sense. This is why I always tell people to be carefull with what they buy, especially crtical components such as steering. These cheap after market ball joints are weaker, wear out quicker, and don't have the safety features of the OEM. 555 by the way is a high quality Japanese aftermarket brand and in fact it might even be the OEM supplier but I'm not sure.