Alt Problem.

SlammedLs400

post-22781-1142469699_thumb.jpgThis is on my ohter ls400. its a 92. The alt is good battery good but when i went to get it tested it said check cable? made sure the plugs where all good on the alt. but still said check cable then they said maybe its the fuisble link but if its the one in the engine bay this one look at "attachment." the white one i put a tester up to it. the one where you touch it with a screwdriver type thing and the light lights up. and i did and the light lit up so i dont know what could it be is there anyother kinds? and do i test with the car on or of? cause i tested it with it off when the light came on. so any help would be great thanks alot.

post-22781-1142469699_thumb.jpgThis is on my ohter ls400. its a 92. The alt is good battery good but when i went to get it tested it said check cable? made sure the plugs where all good on the alt. but still said check cable then they said maybe its the fuisble link but if its the one in the engine bay this one look at "attachment." the white one i put a tester up to it. the one where you touch it with a screwdriver type thing and the light lights up. and i did and the light lit up so i dont know what could it be is there anyother kinds? and do i test with the car on or of? cause i tested it with it off when the light came on. so any help would be great thanks alot.

Also is there another fuisble link under the car like somwere in the postive cable wire? for the charging system.

So where is the fuisble link?

ANYBODY?

The fusible links are the ones shown in your picture. The ID is on the underside of the fuse cover. They are best checked by using a strong torch and looking very carefully into the top of it. They are heavy fuses and if they blow they are obvious. They can also take out a lot of other circuits so please tell us if you have any other circuits out.

You have to UNBOLT the fusible links, lots of people try and pull them out. Undo the plastic side cover below them and you will find the retaining bolts. They look like teeth when pulled and create just as much pain if you don't undo them properly.

Good luck.

The alt is good battery good but when i went to get it tested it said check cable? made sure the plugs where all good on the alt. but still said check cable then they said maybe its the fuisble link.

Going back to your original question, i need a few points clarified to help.

1) Who is saying check the cable? have you just had some work done on it?

2) What is the voltage showing on the battery after being put on a charger? You say its good so it should be 12.5 Volts

3) Do you have 14 volts on the battery terminals when you have the engine running? Is the alternator light showing on the gauges?

I have written a novel on this stuff before, just need to find the thread, it may help.

;)