Another Pump Question

smithsmith

Ok I am new to the forum and soo glad I found this place!!! I have a 1990 ls400 with 207k on her and she is awesome. There are a few minor cosmetic flaws with her but the reason that I am here is that she has a power steering leak. I have to put at least a bottle a day in her and it all leaks out. It has become a daily routine and a severe burden. This has gone on for well over a year and no one knows what to do?? One said that it was the pump someone else says that it the pressure hose and the last person says that its no big deal we will just cap off the leak??? I don’t have funds to dump away on guesses so why not ask the experts. When I look below the pump I see a valve that I am assuming had a hose on it a one time or another. At that opening I see that there is a serious drip drip drip drip drip coming from that opening when the car is running. Someone please help me out before something frys my baby….

smithsmith:

When I look below the pump I see a valve that I am assuming had a hose on it a one time or another. At that opening I see that there is a serious drip drip drip drip drip coming from that opening when the car is running. Someone please help me out before something frys my baby….

Yes, like your alternator.........I'm surprised it's not already dead. If the people offering you advice don't know that there should be a hose on each of the barbs on the air control valve, then you're talking with the wrong people.

I hate to do this, but this board gets an average of two people a week with exactly the same (and I do mean Identical) problem as yours. Please do a search on the topic of "power steering pump" & read as much as you can. There is plenty of information available and you'll be able to see pretty quickly what the in's & out's are. After you've done that, please feel free to ask any question(s) you may have. There's a bunch of good people here, all more than willing to help.

ps. Don't run out and plunk down your hard earned cash on a P/S pump just yet......there are other things to look after before you put in a new pump.

I just finished searching the "power steering pump" posts and WOW I found my exact problem and now I think I have fixed it yee haw! Well a temp fix for now we will see how long it lasts before I have to dump an entire pay check into the project. :D :D :P :D :P

smith:

I just finished searching the "power steering pump" posts and WOW I found my exact problem and now I think I have fixed it yee haw! Well a temp fix for now we will see how long it lasts before I have to dump an entire pay check into the project.

Very Cool!......................

Sorry, but I pointed you in that direction because there are a whole bunch of us that have written volumes on the subject & I for one, just don't have it in me to write another volume, particularly when it already exists. I'm very happy that you found what you needed. If you have found enough information to now go out and buy parts, more power to you. As I said earlier, there are a whole bunch of people that have been down the road that you are about to, so don't be shy about asking us before you drop any money.

However, you do need to get the pump taken care of soon, otherwise, the leaking from it will kill your alternator.

Oh, and as much of a temptation as it will be, I'd strongly recommend against "Half-A**ing" the repair. There are numerous other components in the P/S system besides just the pump. Any one of those can "kill" the pump just as dead. If you don't address all of the issues in the P/S system, you'll be buying & replacing parts that you've already done. It WILL get costly & frustrating

Also, check out the Toyota/Lexus TechInfo site. $10.00 for a one day subscrition allows you to download all the tech manual information for your car. It's a steal!.........do it.

Lexus TechInfo