Switching For Gx To Lx

mitchturk

Hi,

I am just about to move from a GX470 to an LX470 (don't ask ... just can't stand the clunking, four driveshafts later ...). I would really appreciate some advice:

a) The GX 470 is a 2004 Model.

B) The LX 470 would be a 2003 Model. About the same # kilometers

I would appreciate if you could provide comments:

i) Is there anything on my GX that I would not get on the LX?

ii) Comments on pros/cons of both models?

iii) Will I be happy - in your opinion? :)

I use the truck to go to the cottage and for work. A pertty average driver. Of course, I am concerned about going back a model year and want to make sure it is not a mistake.

Thanks. Peter

I have a 2004 GX which has been almost trouble free - the only problem was a latch on the rear door that failed and had to be replaced. Otherwise my experience with this car has been very good. I can imagine your feelings about the problems you mentioned.

I looked at the LX, too, when I was looking at the GX. It ended up being a cost decision - the new price between the models was significant to me. The things I liked better about the LX are:

1) The 2-piece rear door, with a liftagte/tailgate (instead of the single large door on the GX)

2) There is more storage room behind the 3rd row seat on the LX. Not a huge difference, but enough to stow a few duffels. On the GX I have to put 1/2 the 3rd seat up, which reduces the room for teen-agers sitting back there

3) I think there is a little more 3rd row leg room?

The things I liked worse on the LX:

1) It seems to have more things that require maintenance, and more often, than the GX. The fewer trips to the dealer, it seems the happier I am

2) A more complex AWD system than the GX, since I don't do any extreme off-road driving anyway

A couple of other things to think about:

1) Was your problem with the GX related more to the car, or to the dealer's ability to fix a problem? I know several people with GXs, and none of us have had the problems with driveline that are described here. There's nothing worse, car-wise, than the expectation that comes from owning a Lexus, and having a dealer that is unable to get a problem corrected. Be careful you don't just trade cars if the problem is really the dealer..

2) Make sure the LX has the options you want. My 04 GX has the Nav system and backup camera, which is a major deal for me because I have a neck injury, and it's a lot easier to back up with the camera. I REALLY like the audio system in the GX as well - make sure you're happy with the LX options, there may be some differences between the 03 & 04.

3) make sure the maintenance on the LX is up to date. You don't want to have a hidden cost to do a lot of maintenance, and the LX seems to have a few more items on the list.

Good luck with the change

Bob

LOL. We just bought a very low mileage 03 GX (19k miles) and we are selling our 1998 LX. We bought in in 2001 with 31000 miles and it now has 143000 miles.

My wife loves the GX but I think the LX actually rides a little smoother over rough bumps than the GX (which I have only test driven). Mileage will be worse of course.

If you ever tow, we towed a 3800lb boat/trailer often with the LX. The LX is far and away the best towing vehicle I have ever driven--much better than our heavier and more powerful Expedition we had before. None of the jiggling/up and down motion towing usually brings. I will be surprised if the GX does as well.

The car has been virtually maintenance free. However the CD player (which has a auto changer that "swallows" 6 Cds instead of the sep cartridge that a nav equipped GX has) froze up (with our CDs in it) and I have read this is common with the LXs.

The 3rd row rear seat tract/removal mechanism drives me nuts. My wife never seems able to secure it and once it broke entirely after we removed it for storage.

The car may soon look dated--rumor has it the LX will likely be replaced or eliminated and replaced with a bigger JX/sequoia based model. I liked driving a 98 that looks like a 2006. I don't know if I'd like driving a 2003 or 2006 that looks like a 98. Its certainly an older design, but I still think it holds up well.

The electric antennae motor has also broken several times. I also don't like the auto daytime running lites (altho I dont know if that is still standard in 03).

Certainly roomier.

Overall the LX is the finest car, reliability taken into consideration, we have owned.

The car may soon look dated--rumor has it the LX will likely be replaced or eliminated and replaced with a bigger JX/sequoia based model. I liked driving a 98 that looks like a 2006. I don't know if I'd like driving a 2003 or 2006 that looks like a 98. Its certainly an older design, but I still think it holds up well.

The electric antennae motor has also broken several times. I also don't like the auto daytime running lites (altho I dont know if that is still standard in 03).

Certainly roomier.

Overall the LX is the finest car, reliability taken into consideration, we have owned.

Yes, my '03 LX has the DRL's standard. Research has shown that one is 1/3 less likely to be in an accident using DRL's than none. Since I drive on lots of highways, they certainly help. I have the DVD changer w/ magazine in the armrest integrated into the nav screen. It's a tried-and-true design, used in so many countries throughout the world. The design life of the LC100/LX is supposedly 300K mi between major engine overhauls (ie, new rings, etc.). Overseas, the Landcruisers also come w/ the hydraulic suspension (only the bottom-end LC doesn't...don't know why it took 8 yrs for the LC here to introduce it; it automatically levels the vehicle, so if you tow, it'll always be flat). I think the LX is still quite stylish/classy. I also like the tail gate over the rear door of the GX (LC Prado overseas).

Bree, you sure drove a heck of a lot in a short amount of time. I'm sure you could easily double the miles and it would still be reliable. I have 200K mi on a 20 yr old 4runner, and it's still going strong (but with a new baby, the old 2-door w/ no rear AC isn't practical, so it's my DD now).