P/s And Alternator Problem

Labtec

Two weeks ago the battery (charging) light came on in my 92 SC400 (115K mil). I had been having leakage problems with the p/s pump so I figured the p/s fluid had destroyed the alternator. I took the car to my local mechanic the very next day. He put in a remanufactured alternator and told me that there is no problem with the power steering pump and so he didn’t change it. But it’s obvious that the p/s pump is soaking wet.

So, today I went to go turn on my car, and it was dead. After getting a jump start, I decided to drive around a bit to let the battery charge. While I was going about 60mph, the car shut off on me!!

Now, this seems like a sign of the alternator going bad. But it has only been two weeks. And this time, the strange thing is, that the battery light never came on like it had two weeks ago.

Did I get stuck with a bad alternator or did the p/s pump kill another one? Why didn’t the battery light come on if it is the alternator again?

Please help, any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated!

P/s: Know of any good mechanics in Maryland (near D.C.)

Ask your mechanic what he meant when he said the pump was okay. He may have been testing the pressure and bearings and thought nothing of the leak. I'd hate to think he could miss something like that, but you never know.

The leak is often at the connection to the high-pressure hose, and replacing the hose can sometimes fix the problem without having to buy a new pump.

Luck, mate.