96 Es300 Engine Cover

gmac

I need help with work I'm doing to replace the front valve cover on my 96 es300. Once you remove the 5 mm allens to take the engine cover off, how do you get the remaining fastener out that holds down the plastic trough where the spark plug wires run?? I'm afraid to be too forceful and just snap the threader fastener off so I hope someone can tell me a simple trick that I'm overlooking.

On my 3vz-fe, it was 2 * 5mm allen wrenches, and it pops out with a sharp jerk.

Thanks but I think you are referring to the cover and I got the cover off easily. The problem I'm concerned with is the two post that the 5mm were threaded onto. I wanted to remove those for clearance of the valve cover but they are difficult to reach and appear to be really locked down so I thought there might be some trick to remove them to get them off to move the plastic holder for the spark plug wires out of the way. There are no features on them to a get a socket or anything on to remove. I've searched and didn't find any info on them so I thought I would post the question before I tried to remove them with a pair of vise grips or something.