93 Engine Block Drain Plug?

The 1MZ-FE engine block drain plugs are located on both bottom sides of the block. You still have to open the radiator drain fitting if you're changing the coolant. Even though Lexus/Toyota recommends opening the block plugs I find that a lot of dealers don't do it. Instead they just open the radiator drain and after it's drained and flushed with clear water they once again fill it with the proper coolant. Than fill the overflow bottle to the top with a 50-50 mixture of the coolant. It makes it simpler and quicker for them. The level in the overflow bottle will drop to close to the proper level after all the air bleeds out of the system.

edit: The best way to do it is the way that Lexus/Toyota recommends, in my opinion. ;)

Like I said in my previous post, changing the coolant without taking out the block plugs is the easiest way of doing it, but not necessarily the best way. That's the way most all people do it. The block plugs look similar to the engine oil drain plug. Here is the way I would do it if you don't want to remove the block plugs.

1- Remove radiator cap.

2- Open the radiator drain.

3- Refill the radiator with water and a cooling system cleaner like Dupont Cooling System Cleaner.

4- Run engine until the engine reaches operating temperature.

5- Flush this out and fill with clear water once again.

6- Run engine until the engine reaches operating temperature.

7- Drain out the water and than fill system with the proper coolant.

Thanks, but I wasn't asking how to do it - by the way, this isn't the best way to do it. But I'll be more than happy to share that with you.

I really need to know what those drain plugs look like and exactly where they are. I hear there's just one on my '93, but I don't know what it looks like and I'll be darned if I can find it.

For the 3VZ-FE engine the coolant drain for the block is at the back of the engine(opposite the oil filter). The easiest way to see it is by raising it up on a hoist, you will see a ruber pipe under the engine just follow it up to the drain plug, i believe it is a 10mm. I do not know if you can get to it without rasing the car. :wacko:

P.S if its too tight do not bother with it because if it snaps off your a dead man!!! :(