Power Steering Leak

Harky

I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my lex about a year ago. I've learned alot about care and feeding and I want to pass along a success story.

Like so may other owners, I developed a leak in the high pressure power steering hose. There was no visible leakage from the pump (yet?)... And I've been watching it closely to make sure that it didn't leak onto the alternator! $$ ouch $$ !!

I wondered if my solenoid screen might be plugged, causing higher than normal pressures in the pump and the hose?? Steering was fine and pump sounded fine. No indication of this on the service records Hmmmm.

Since I was checking the front brake pads for wear anyway, I decided to check the solenoid filter screen. I got it off pretty easily by using a punch and a rap with a hammer (spun right off.) It's messy (the reservoir will drain) And the old fluid looked and smelled pretty icky! The car is a 96 with 87K.

You guessed it! The screen was nearly plugged solid!! I couldn't blow thru it! I cleaned it up, put it back in, topped up with fresh ATF, cycled the steering a few times to get the air out, and went for a ride. Steering seemed normal. Whew!

I wiped off all the oil from the hoses and frame, etc. so that I could check for further leakage. I have been driving it about a week now and it's dry! No leak! Amazing! I think I dodged the bullet!!

Thanks all!

I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my lex about a year ago. I've learned alot about care and feeding and I want to pass along a success story.

Like so may other owners, I developed a leak in the high pressure power steering hose. There was no visible leakage from the pump (yet?)... And I've been watching it closely to make sure that it didn't leak onto the alternator! $$ ouch $$ !!

I wondered if my solenoid screen might be plugged, causing higher than normal pressures in the pump and the hose?? Steering was fine and pump sounded fine. No indication of this on the service records Hmmmm.

Since I was checking the front brake pads for wear anyway, I decided to check the solenoid filter screen. I got it off pretty easily by using a punch and a rap with a hammer (spun right off.) It's messy (the reservoir will drain) And the old fluid looked and smelled pretty icky! The car is a 96 with 87K.

You guessed it! The screen was nearly plugged solid!! I couldn't blow thru it! I cleaned it up, put it back in, topped up with fresh ATF, cycled the steering a few times to get the air out, and went for a ride. Steering seemed normal. Whew!

I wiped off all the oil from the hoses and frame, etc. so that I could check for further leakage. I have been driving it about a week now and it's dry! No leak! Amazing! I think I dodged the bullet!!

Thanks all!

Harky:

Eggggggzzzzzzzzaaaaakkkkkkttttllllyyyyy!

Congratulations, you've got the routine down Pat!