2002 Es300 Thermostat

Chip

I had a check engine light that cost me $100 to have the code read saying the thermostat was bad.

the Toyota dealership ( no Lexus dealer for 100 miles) said they have seen this code on the V6 Toyota like 3 times and each time just re-setting the light took care of it. They reset the light but my light came back on the first time out on the road. I took it back and they changed the thermostat for $ 175. Does that seem excessive? 71 K miles on car with absolutely no other trouble. also- since the car will be needing the timing belt in a year or so, I asked them about doing it there in the Toyota shop. they have a printed menu card of pick and choose services they do with the belt...

is this normal? I thought there would be a standard procedure including what ever needed done for a standard price...

Um ok the first thing that's wrong, if you're paying for maintenece, never go to a dealer.

#2) Most autoparts stores will scan your car for free

#3) I don't know, but they have sensors in the thermostat now!? No way LoL!

#4) Yes... That is hella excessive. $60 for labor (20-30min to change it, rounding up to th nearest hour) + 20-30 part.

#5) There are a billion pieces of maintenece to be done.

Change the belt & water pump. Most of the time, go ahead & do the spark plugs, along with the valve cover gaskets & cam/crank seals. But... All you *need* is the tb, pump & accessory belts.

Nothing is standard. Dealers don't make money selling cars, that's just candy. They make their money in the service bays.