Diy Shock Replacement

Let me first say thanks to everyone on the site that has been leaving informative feedback. It has really helped me with my own decision making and it has been a great tool for getting advice from the veterans that have been around these cars for some time.

With that said, I again need some advice on a Do It Yourself Shock Replacement on the GS400. I know that there is a lot of advice under the search function and I have read everything I can find. GuyTelefunken left some helpful feedback on a previous post about shock replacement but I would like just a little bit more detail, if possible, so I know exactly what I am getting myself into. He did mention a spring compressor would be needed, which I do not currently have, and other than that it sounded fairly easy.

I guess I should say I am fairly experienced with working on cars. I have done mainly bolt-on-type work: A/C, Alternators, Water Pumps, Thermostats, Smog Pumps, Header Gaskets, Intakes, Exhaust, even a heater core on a 90 Mustang, which really sucked, but never any suspension work.

Where she stands: Lowered with Eibach Springs, stock shocks, 18 X 9.0 (245/40) Front and 18 X 9.5 (275/35) Rear, with a Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust and the SRT inake (very soon).

I am not looking to build the best road performance machine out there. I am looking for a little tighter handling and a nice slightly lowered look, which I already have. Since my shocks are squeaking and getting increasingly louder and more embarrasing, I have all but decided to order some new KYB GR2 Shocks for the front only. The rears seem fine and there is only 55k on the car. It is, however, a 1999 and has been sitting on those stock shocks and lowered springs for some time. I know I should check all the other suspension components I can while I have the shock off of there and that I will need a spring compressor and torque wrench and to get an alignment done after. Is that about all there is to it? For anybody who did it on your own, about how long did it take you and if you don't mind posting your total overall cost, that would be helpful too.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Also, any comments/suggestions about my set up or your own set up and how you like it or what you would have done different is most definately welcomed.

Edited by DaGuNit