Es250 Engine Swap... Knock Sensor?

xetrov

The engine in my ES250 blew up (cracked cylinder wall) and I found a replacement 2VZFE out of a 88 Camry. However, I heard that there is no spot for the knock sensor. :huh:

What I need to know is if I can drill and tap a hole in the block for the sensor or if I just need to find a newer motor. I have been looking for pics of the block and any information but haven't come up with anything yet.

I appreciate your help!

Chris

Using my 3vz-fe as an expample:

Bling-RearHead.jpg

RearBank.jpg

Engine-Heads.jpg

I don't remember if it's the knock sensors the early 2vz-fe's are missing, or the o2 sensors. If it's the knock sensors - no you can't drill & tap a hole. Placement of the knock sensor must be where the stock place is. The best you can do if an early 2vz-fe is not equipped for knock sensor<s>, is to weld a bung/nut to the block approximately where it should go & hope it transfers enough vibration for the peizo to pick-up in the knock sensor. (It will, but I'm not gonna flat out say that will work 100%. But I'm 99% sure that would work OK)

There is like, no way it would work if you mounted one off the side of the block, or like JB Welded a bung/nut on it. Remember that you're talking about an electronic device that the ECU can read easily over 100 times a second, and not insulating the sound vibrations are paramount to the knock sensors working.

Most ECU's can interpolate down to 0.25 (or lower) of a degree of when ignition takes place over 720* of rotation. 720 / .25 = a resolution of 2880 whatevers

Say you're at 3000rpm, 3000 / 60 = 50 revolutions a second.

50 RPM * 2880 "interpolations" = 144,000 measurements a SECOND the ECU is going "duuuuuh when's it gonna bang? Opp! There it went!" That's just at 3000rpm LoL! As can be seen, the everage ECU's knock sensor sensativeity can be phenominal when everything works right. Even on those old, slow chips they use.

That's probably too high... But that's the basic idea anyways.

Good luck with it! Army got anything to say about 87-89 2vz-fe's & knock sensors?

Edited by Toysrme

Good luck with it! Army got anything to say about 87-89 2vz-fe's & knock sensors?

the 88-89 2vz depends on when it was made. knock sensor production started in 07/88, if you get one with a knock sensor...then it was made after july 1988 :)