1996 Lexus Ls400 Sound System

m3lt

So I got a $2000+ sound system for my lexus LS400

I got Pioneer headunit, Kicker 4-channel amp, Kicker subwoofer amp, 2 12" Kicker subwoofers, Polk speakers

got it installed, everything sounds great, but the installers are stumped to the engine noise.. there is a whine, squeek, high pitch sound that increases with RPMs on my car.. today was the 3rd day its been in since they started installing..

does anyone have any idea? The only idea the techs at circuit city are suggesting is using headunit to power speakers instead of 4-channel amp, but I would much rather keep current setup if only we could fix problem some how..

they have tried tons of things, grounding wires, rewiring and moving power and audio wires.. still get the noise..

any ideas?

I would post this in the audio section of this website...probably get a lot more hits....

My opinion? Ground Loop Isolator is needed. I bet you're picking up the alternator through the ground of the amp and or headunit, creating a ground loop that is back feeding into the system. They do make a ground loop isolator that isn't that much money...been years since i've messed with one and can't quite remember how it is installed, but it's not hard. But again, put this one up in the audio section so the experts can have at it!! And good luck amigo!

Glad you're not my neighbor with that stereo set up.....I'm too old and need my sleep!! ;) :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

ive got a 91 ls 400 and its gone if u want anything off it contact me i just made the fog lights clear and put h3 light bulbs in installed them in my friends 91 and they look great

the car is dark green and the interior is tan but some of it is trashed

Alternator....I'm amazed they didn't suggest this.

yeah i had the same problem on an olds i had awhile back.......

yeah i tried the noise filters that instal under the dash into the unit that didn't work

now one thing i would do is have the brushes cleaned on the alternator, then i would definitly replace it if that didn't fix it