Radio Security

KY350

My battery failed about 2 weeks ago so I replaced it with a new one. Problem is that once the original battery was disconnected, I had to enter a security code to get the radio working again.

Now I've had this car for just over a year and I contacted the previous owner and found out what the security code was. He told me it was 3 digits and starts with a 9. However, there is no 9 on the radio panel (goes up to six). So I rang Lexus and they told me that you can toggle up to 9 somehow. But the Lexus service person could not remeber the correct procedure to tell me over the phone to clear the security code. Worse still, there is nothing in my owners manual detailing which buttons to press to be able to enter the security code. The radio display reads "SEC" when I turn the ignition on, irrespective of whether the radio is set to the on or off position (which I cannot tell).

So I did a search assuming that this has happened to others. I found a thread where one respondend indicated that I need to press the "1" and the top of the "SEEK / SCAN" buttons simultaneously in order to get the "---" so I can input the code. I tried this but pressing the "1" and the top of the "SEEK / SCAN" buttons did nothing - the radio still displays the SEC message.

I was hoping to avoid a trip to the Lexus dealer and ask if can someone give me a step by step instruction on how I can clear the "SEC" display and enter the radio security code. Also, please confirm if it is possible to have the number 9 in the security code.

Perhaps I should just disconnect the battery again and try the press the "1" and the top of the "SEEK / SCAN" procedure once more. I might try this as a last resort before going to Lexus.

Thanks for the response TexasLexus94 and Shadow.

My car is an Australian market 1991 model. I have been through every page of the owners manual and there is nothing in there re the radio security code. We probably get a different manual to the US manual, although I cannot understand why.

So, if the procedure is different to press 1 and SEEK / SCAN, would you kindly outline the procedure as I do not have it.

Here you go, Mate:

Make sure the radio is off, with the ignition switch in "ACC".

While holding the "1" and "6" buttons in, push and hold the PWR VOL knob in until SEC appears on the display.

Press the "1" button while pressing the upper side of the TUNE SEEK button in. A tape indicator will appear along with 3 flat lines.You now input the code by pressing the 1 button the number of times for the first required number-9,I believe you said. Then press the number 2 the number of times to input the second number, and then press number 3 the number of times for the last code number.

After you've entered the full code numbers, press the scan button. If you've hit gold, the SEC display will go off. If it's wrong, the ERR will occur, along with a number showing how many times you've tried to enter a bad code. Be careful, since the radio goes dead if you miss nine times.

Remember as a last resort, input the last 3 numbers of the VIN code, if you have them in OZ.

Don't hesitate to reply if you have any questions. I visited Sydney, Cairns and Melbourne in 2003, and found Australia and its people to be heaven on earth. If you need an owner's manual, I have an extra one for free. Lexus mails one to new used car owners in the States for free-not sure about Aussie owners.

freddtroy@hotmail.com

Yes-I've posted this address here before, and the E Mail robots now send me 10 spams a day. Pitiful...

OK I finally got the security procedure sorted.

I went through my owners manual again, looking up radio in the index. This lead me to pg74 of the owners manual. At the very end of this section, there is one line that say Anti theft system pg85. Low and behold everything I was after was on pg 85 and beyond.

Just a clarification for anyone else that may find themselves in my predicament in the future, the owners manual states to press the "1" button while holding down the top of the "Tune / Seek" button. It is important to get the order correct - that is press the "Tune / Seek" button first and then press the "1" button.

TexusLexus94 stated it correctly:

"Press the "1" button while pressing the upper side of the TUNE SEEK button in", but I still read it incorrectly and pressed 1 and then the Tune / Seek buttons.

Anyhow its all ok now.

TexusLexus94 - I owe you a drink or two, so if you're ever in Sydney again, send me a PM and we can meet up. As you no doubt found out when travelling in Australia, we love any excuse for a cold drink - especially in the oppressive heat (37degC today with high humidity).

BTW - I've never posted my email address on the net, but still get aboiut a dozen spam mails a day - very frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

Michael