Is 300 Key Defect?

chann

In the past week both of my IS 300 keys have completely broken. It starts with a crack from the small screw. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? It cost $320 to replace a key and this is the second one that has broken with the exact same crack in the same spot. Could this be a manufacture defect?

I am assuming when you say the little screw you mean the one that holds the plastic together.

Too bad you moved so fast. I have seen on ebay, the housings. You simply transfer the inerds and the stem to the new housing. The catch to these keys is they came in neon colors instead of black. So, I guess if they come in neon, then they must come in black. Now, I haven't actually seen them up close and personal, so I don't know how easy it would be to transfer the working parts of the key.

For that whole matter then, what would happen if you just bought a generic key on ebay and transfered you stem and inerds to the new key, that might have worked for short money.

steviej

In the past week both of my IS 300 keys have completely broken. It starts with a crack from the small screw. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? It cost $320 to replace a key and this is the second one that has broken with the exact same crack in the same spot. Could this be a manufacture defect?

Happened to my Dad's LS430 key. He had Lexus order another one at no cost to him. Just complain enough and they'll probably take care of you.