Engine Knocking

nyachty

:chairshot: Hi All,

Great place for info!

Having a problem with my Es300 1992 with 150k and no one seems to be able to give a straight answer. I've got an engine knocking noise when engine is warm. This can be heard only when parked and goosing the throttle.

Some say it's the timing belt tensioner. Some say it's the connecting rod bearings. Seems every mechanic has an opinion about what it can be.

I'm not burning any oil, no smoking of any kind at start up. Performance is normal.

Of course this would happen because I'm selling the car!

Please, does anyone have an opinion or experience that may be similar.

Thank you.

If it's been knocking awhile it's not likely rod bearings if you've kept the oil changed on time. If it was a rod, or main bearing. You'd be driving along, the bearing would overheat & desintigrate.

I've never seen a 100% failed Toyota timing belt tensioner. Most tend to get stiffer as they age.

Could be anything rotating. Put your head in the engine bay & find out what it is. Triangulate the position of the noise & we'll try to figure out what the cause is. If you're just really bad at it, or having trouble pinpointing it use a stethescope. Hell I don't care use one of the cardboard wrapping paper tubes.

I would eleminate the alt, A/C & powersteering pump first.