Review Of New Michelins On My 01 430

With all the tire discussions, I thought you might want a review of my new Michelin's.

Car has 20k miles, front tires had uneven wear and I split a rear tire last week, so dealer put on 4 new tires, alignment, and oil change to boot. Cost: $1289 including tax. I could have nickel and dimed a slightly better deal elsewhere, but only Lexus is going to work on my car (alignment, oil change) because I trust my dealership service dept, and I had decided on those exact tires. And if someting goes wrong after they work on it, they would fix it with no hassle.

These Michelin Pilot A/S (All Season) are incredible. The ride is way more comfortable, even seems a bit more quiet. The ride just feels softer.

It is raining today, so I got to test it out in inclement weather, and it handled DRAMATICALLY better than before. Since Lexus put "summer" tires on it stock, I used to slide all over the place, and not driving aggressively in the rain, either. Now, these Michelin's stuck like glue in the rain, even going around a 90 turn at 30mph it didn't even act like it was going to slide. Before, I would have ended up in that guy's front yard. Under normal driving I used to spin the rear tires in the rain, especially taking off from a stop into a turn, which made pulling out of my subdivision exciting when it was rainy, since I live at the top of a hill and oncoming traffic can't be seen in either direction till it's on top of you.

So, I'm very pleased with both the ride quality and the handling. They don't look as aggressive as the Potenza's, but they still look great, as they are still the same size. A little more tread on the sidewall, and the tread not as aggressive looking. But that isn't even an issue for me: it's still a black on black 430 with 17" factory chrome.

Also, the vibration I got between 60 and 70 is completely gone. It used to shake, so much you could see your hand shaking back and forth. Now, it is smooth as silk. I'm sure it's not just the tires, but a combination of the better riding tires, an alignment, and balancing. Although, I just had my 15k service not too long ago, and it still vibrated even after they did a rotate and balance, and now it's gone completely. So maybe the tires are a big part of it.

Lexus of Louisville Service giving out free Christmas CD's with Lexus on the label. Anyone else get one of these? After what I just paid for tires, alignment, and oil change, I think that's called a "reach around."

Not complaining, though, their service has always been great, they take care of my wife well (RX330) and I've never felt taken advantage of. They do a good job.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the AS Pilot sports on my 98 GS400, and as I have said before on this site, they are the best tire I have ever owned, and for sure the best in the rain for traction. The car can accelerate to scary speeds very quickly without ever invoking the traction control. Unreal.

Good choice! :D