97 Ls Front End Clunk And Nakamichi Issue

uakicker

First, I'd like to thank all those previous posters that have saved me so much time and money over the last several months!

We just purchased a 1997 LS with just over 100k miles. It's in great shape, but the front end "clunks" pretty good over rough roads or pot-holes, etc. I've dealt with several Camry's in the past and found a problem with their strut mounts or strut towers, (whatever you want to call it). Is this an issue with the LS or do I need to be looking somewhere else? Please advise.

Also, it has the Nakamichi sound system. At low volume it sounds fine, but when turned up it begins to sound like an old record with a scratch in it! Speakers cut out and it sounds awful. I've noticed that it seems related with the level of bass chosen on the stereo. Are we talking an amplifier or head unit issue?

Thanks for your replies and take care.

Mike

Mike, you are correct about the strut mounts....The LS has the same problem "well, at a 100k miles, I use the word Problem loosely". The clunk is most likely your strut rod bushings. I would start there, and check out www.lexuspartsonline.com for good prices. You might also look at the shock bumper(s) too at the top of the shock. I've replaced all control arms on my car, and I too get a little "Crunch" noise still when it's cold outside...because I forgot to replace those shock bumpers....and it's such a pain to get to them.

By the way....Welcome aboard amigo! :cheers:

First, I'd like to thank all those previous posters that have saved me so much time and money over the last several months!

We just purchased a 1997 LS with just over 100k miles.  It's in great shape, but the front end "clunks" pretty good over rough roads or pot-holes, etc.  I've dealt with several Camry's in the past and found a problem with their strut mounts or strut towers, (whatever you want to call it).  Is this an issue with the LS or do I need to be looking somewhere else?  Please advise.

Also, it has the Nakamichi sound system.  At low volume it sounds fine, but when turned up it begins to sound like an old record with a scratch in it!  Speakers cut out and it sounds awful.  I've noticed that it seems related with the level of bass chosen on the stereo.  Are we talking an amplifier or head unit issue?

Thanks for your replies and take care.

Mike