Heating Problem?

bob95603

Recently bought a 1990 ES250 and have noticed a heating problem now that the weather is getting colder. When the engine heats to normal operating temperture, the heat from the heater is as it should be. Actually it's hot. However when driving on the freeway after the car has hit its operating temperature, the needle on the temperature guage falls to almost "C" and the heat from the heater is dramatically reduced almost to being cool. Turning off the heater has little effect on increasing the engine temperature. I'd expect the heat level to lessen in any car when driving 65 mph+, but I've never seen such a drastic decrease in any car. I don't want to block the radiator as that will increase the heat but also increase transmission heat. I wouldn't think that it's the thermostat because the car does reach normal operating temperature. Any suggestions or comments?

When starting the car in the morning, the dashboard temp gauge should reach it's "normal operating temperature" level after 3-4 miles of driving. If the gauge is still down near the Cold mark after 3-4 miles of driving then the thermostat is stuck open.

An aftermarket thermostat or improperly installed thermostat gasket could also be a source of wierdness.