Es300 O2 Sensor

hi i have a 98 es300 and this morning i went to start my car and it was running funny i thought it was just because it had snowed well i let it warm up walked outside and cel was blinking... took it to an autozone... they used a code reader and it said bank 1 somthin which was the o2 sensor.. also it sayd it was misfiring on a couple cylenders... is it misfiring because of the o2 sensor? if not how do i replace the back and front spark plugs i looked i cant really find anything this is my first lexus can someone please help me. i need help!

Spark plug misfiring is likely due to neglected tune ups or improperly performed tune ups (using aftermarket spark plugs and other ignition system parts, improperly torquing spark plugs or cracking the spark plug insulator by torquing with the wrong type of spark plug wrench, etc). If the plugs were really misfiring, you should have noticed some engine vibration. Does the engine idle with buttery smoothness or is there some noticable engine shaking?

hi i have a 98 es300 and this morning i went to start my car and it was running funny i thought it was just because it had snowed well i let it warm up walked outside and cel was blinking... took it to an autozone... they used a code reader and it said bank 1 somthin which was the o2 sensor.. also it sayd it was misfiring on a couple cylenders... is it misfiring because of the o2 sensor? if not how do i replace the back and front spark plugs i looked i cant really find anything this is my first lexus can someone please help me. i need help!

the problem with the codes is that just because you get a PXXXX code that does not mean that is the problem.

Based on a 98, the 02 sensors could be going or get pretty old. Most only last around 100K. I would do a simple test (as noted before on this forum) and see what you get. Might be good, weak or bad. Again a simple volt and ohms meter is your friend.

Or the sensor could have gone bad from spark plugs too. I only hope they are not original. This area you do not need to use OEM since OEM is only NGK. Plus either plugs you get NGK or Denso will only last about 60K and that is it. If there are orginal. Spend like $60 and replace the wires and plugs. Takes about 30 minutes and is very easy.

Based on the same year as mine; you have the world famous sludge engine and the famous EGR, thorttle body Ivac carbon issue. This items will have major crap on them since it was a poor design. This topic has been posted before so do a search.

I would clean these areas and it will take about 1-hour and about $3.00 in cleaner. I say (1) hour since I was very careful when I did mine and it was bad.

Again as monarch stated I would agree but only only the fact that you need a minor tuneup. BUT more then half of the issue is not your, but of poor design. Normal EGR, carboned, throttle bodys are NOT normal on these low milage cars or these years.

Nor is it nomal for these cars to have EGR's replaced like mad. Or there intakes look like tar since the re emmison sys is a little behind the curve of longevity.

You have the years that need some help.