Uneven Front Tire Wear

mckellyb

At 34K miles, I've noticed the insides of the front tires are wearing excessively. I have run across this before, on another car, and it turned out the factory specs were, stupidly, -0- toe. So, as soon as the front-end parts develop some wear, you wind up with toe-out when moving. Does anyone have the alignment specs on the 2002 AWD? I am going to measure it now, to see how off it is, but I suspect there is a hair of toe-out.

The LF is worse than the RF, but I think this is due to road camber and isn't helped by snow tire ruts.

Shockingly, it seems there is a bit of negative camber on the *rear* wheels, moreso on the right side than the left, but I'm unsure if this is a trick being played on the eye or if it is real. I might have to break down, admit I don't have the right tools to do it, and take it to a real alignment shop to have a proper 4-wheel alignment done. The RR is not wearing unevenly, but I am still suprised to see the top of the wheel slightly closer in than the bottom. I was hoping to see a few RX's around to check and see if this is 'normal', but since I'm looking, they've gone into hiding. The RX isn't that popular of a vehicle in Vegas, though, so it might just be a dry spell.

I've done full-on front-end modifications on one car which allowed me to tweak camber, as it was necessary after a very mild suspension lift, and I'm surprised at how good you can get a car to track by using your eye and a feel for it, which is why I'm even considering doing it myself. Keeping an eye on tire wear is crucial, of course. I'm not sad the Headstone tires are wearing strangely, as I hate them, though I've yet to pick replacements....

Thanks!