Torquing Bolts

Call me old-school but I use a torque wrench on every bolt that has a specified torque. Though I generally agree the the drain plug can be tightened just right by hand.

Hello: Even as it has a torque you can let it go with doing it without, as you do not go overboard on the amount of force applied to the drain plug. Usually you can torque that in an easy fashion. Tight the bolt until it touches the surface of the oil pan, at this time the plug is not tight it is just flushed with the metal, from that point go to an angle of one quater of the turn or 15 to 20 degrees, that should be more than good and if you even want to be more sure it is just give it a little more, but you should find that you cannot move the plug anymore without doing a great effort. That is called wrench art and is probably in a future going to replace most torque applications, because is an easier no tools faster approach. But some places will be torqued always because of the safety involved.

Check for leaks! With the engine on. And since you are not that seasoned always keep an eye in the oil warning light and puddles under the vehicle. But the Torque wrench is the surest way, they sell them very cheap for automotive applications, you can probably get one for like 20 or less one that does not need much calibration.

C. PR