Altanator Going Bye Bye?

914lps

Had my battery die when I was out of town, charged it, and put one of those voltadge meaters into the cig lighter socket.

On the drive home (400 miles), the voltadge never went over 13.2 volts and that was at 80 to 90 miles per hour. At under 20 miles per, voltadge droped to 12.1 volts.

On getting home I put the battery on a charger and got the battery up to a fully charged voltadge of about 14 volts. I then left the lights on with the car off. After an hour with lights on (high beams) the voltadge was reading 12.4, and the car started fine

The battery charger claims to test the altanator by giving a % of how it is working at charging the battery.

at 2,000 rpm it shows 0%, at 3,000 rpm it shows 30%. I'm thinking altanator part is OK, but regulator is bad.

If I'm right though, it is all one unit???:geek:

So, I put the car back on the charger and recharged to 14 volts.

Your thoughts...

Oh, and in the AM, I'm finally putting that rebiult PS pump on, as the right part came in today, so I'll have the altanator pulled and rebuilt at a locale shop.... Can't see installing the new ps pump, then pulling the altanator later....:chairshot: