Noise From Fender Area

yaupoman

I have a 98 ES300 with 80k mi. I notied noises coming from the front right fender area. It soulds like something is loose knocking around especially going over bumps. It's especially noticable in cold weather. So in the summer, no problem. In the winter, noise noise noise. Now, I have the noise on the left side as well. Mechanic couldn't tell. Any idea. Thanks. Roger

Sounds like the classic bad strut mount syndrome to me. However, before going to the expense of replacing parts, have your shop lube the bump stops.

I know it sounds like a simplistic approach, but it eliminated the noise for me AFTER new strut mounts, struts, and spring cushions!

Please report back!

I was going to have my front strut mounts replaced because the noise is really annoying (much more noticeable in colder weather) but I could not justify spending that much money just for a noise. My mechanic said the struts were just fine, and that half the cost of replacing the strut mounts (or struts) is labor... it would be wasteful for me to replace the strut mounts if the struts don't need to replaced. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like the classic bad strut mount syndrome to me.  However, before going to the expense of replacing parts, have your shop lube the bump stops. 

I know it sounds like a simplistic approach, but it eliminated the noise for me AFTER new strut mounts, struts, and spring cushions!

Please report back!

Thanks for the info. Where's the bump stops? It this something I can do? Thanks.