Blowded Up Again!

Toysrme

!¡iYepi¡!

Some of you have known for a month, but here's the first round of pics for the front head.

BlownGasket-2.jpg

BlownGasket-1.jpg

The cool thing tho, is notice how a can of Seafoam (applied following their directions, in 1/3 of a can intervale - that's 2/3 of a cup - through the intake) Completely nuked the carbon from the combustion chambers.

(For people that don't know, disregard any fluid in any picture, it dumps in when you break the seal to the intake manifold & the cylinder heads - it is not due to leaking)

This time last year when I replaced the head gaskets the first time & did the head porting:

Pistons.jpg

(Combustion chamber & valves after a 5hp pressure washer full out)

RearHead.jpg

This time:

FrontHead-1.jpg

Cyl #6 (Normal)

Chamber-6.jpg

Cyl #4 (note the carbon build-up where the head gasket is blown)

Chamber-4.jpg

*edit* swapped to second PB account.

BlockCylinderPiston-1.jpg

Cylinder #4

CylinderPiston-4.jpg

Cylinder #6

CylinderPiston-6.jpg

I've been off water injection for a while now. But you can see the MASSIVE amount of difference it can make just by looking at the combustion chamber -> Mint. The valve cutouts for the piston ->Spotless.

Water Injection PWNS

WI2WIN

Coolant + Oil + Exhaust + 80psi pump

=

BlownGasketOilCoolant.jpg

Somebody take that batter & make some muffins!

• 4 weeks later...

So this morning the machinist called me to tell me I could come hang out & do some work with their tools. Needless to say, I was a kid in the candy store!

After a 15 min dip in a sonic wave parts washer, then getting blasting them with ground walnut shells!?, I took them & checked them with their machinists straight edge & some feeler gauges. The spec for going from one corner to another is 0.0039". (IDK what other specs are.)

The rear head by the coolant passages where it blew the first time I replaced it (IDK where when Lexus did the work before I got the car, but I'm fairly sure that's where) was 0.002" warped front to back 0.006" warped in an X across to the opposite corner @ 0.005" warped going across the block.

The front head was much better. After cleaning the gunk it wound up being a lot flatter than it looked like 0.0015" in an X & 0.0018 across in the worse parts!!! LoL! The edge where the coolant line blew on #4 was actually flat. The set of feelers I had didn't have under a 0.0015" so I couldn't read it.

Anywho. It was sooooo much fun. I applied for a job after lapping my valves! LoL! That would be a fun place to work through school.

When Lexus replaced the HG's under warranty years before I got the car. I thought it was odd taking them off the first time that there were no marks at all on the heads. It really sunk in after I cleaned them the first time. It's impossible to scrape, or brush gasket material off without leaving some amount of marks. I went back looking at old pics from the first time I worked on it... There's not a single mark then either!

Not only did the god damned :censored: NOT machine the head flat, they apparently didn't even clean/scrape the *BLEEP*ing heads before putting them back on!

*BLEEP* Lexus. For the amount of time I've spent solving multiple *BLEEP* ups from their end, I could have gone twin turbos + supercharger & rebuild the engine with forged pistons by now LoL!

Oh well. Maybe good will come out of it & I'll be both a mechanic, and a machinist. =)

I didn't take a digidigitdigdigitsdiggingdigitaldignifydignitydogiedgdiggingsdigitalsdigitizedigsiidoing cam, but they had a huge methanol+n2onononnornotnowknownonenoteMOknownknowsnotesenoughnobodynormal GM 572ci v8vivNVRVTVUVWVkVmV from a dragster torn apart. The custom Titanium rods in were unbelievable!!! I'll try to get some camera phone shots of it whenever I go pick the heads up if I can borrow one. They're all so nice, but they didn't want me to take pics. They do lots of NHRA & SCCA stuff - I guess that's why.

Poor you.

Jesus ice you're almost as good at taking heads off as I am at this point LoL!

Save yourself time on this engine. Start off by bringing some feeler gauges & a machinist quality straight edge home from work & check them for warpage.

Victor's Nitroseals are avalible for a 3vz-fe. They're going to be the strongest non custom Copper/MLS gasket you can get. $50 a gasket. Graphite on steel w' Teflon on the flanges so they can slide a bit with the heads.