Clunk, Clunk, Clunk... Not Strut Mounts

chadmg7

Hi guys.

I would normally search the forum for this, but it is not for my car. I tried googling for info about this, but nothing I found was of any help.

My friend owns a 2001 Chevy Prism (mechanical twin of the Corolla) with about 60,000 miles on it. About a week or two ago, he started hearing a clunking noise when he would accelerate or brake. It sometimes makes the noise on the highway too.

He brought it to the Chevy dealer... they tell him his final gearing on the transmission is going out and it might cost him $6000 to replace the tranny and the final gearing. Can this be true, or are they ripping him off?

Is the car even safe to be driving right now?

A relative told me it might be the CV joints, and that the final gearing should not be the problem. My friend said he cannot feel the clunking (in the steering wheel or in the body of the car) but it is very loud. Is this a sign that the transmisison is going out, or the CV joints?

Thanks a lot for any help. He is really in a tight spot right now.

-Chad

Hi guys.

I would normally search the forum for this, but it is not for my car.  I tried googling for info about this, but nothing I found was of any help.

My friend owns a 2001 Chevy Prism (mechanical twin of the Corolla) with about 60,000 miles on it.  About a week or two ago, he started hearing a clunking noise when he would accelerate or brake.  It sometimes makes the noise on the highway too.

He brought it to the Chevy dealer... they tell him his final gearing on the transmission is going out and it might cost him $6000 to replace the tranny and the final gearing.  Can this be true, or are they ripping him off?

Is the car even safe to be driving right now?

A relative told me it might be the CV joints, and that the final gearing should not be the problem.  My friend said he cannot feel the clunking (in the steering wheel or in the body of the car) but it is very loud.  Is this a sign that the transmisison is going out, or the CV joints?

Thanks a lot for any help.  He is really in a tight spot right now.

-Chad

fair guess says it aint the tranny, cause they are WAYYY overcharging you.

$6k for a tranny swap? $3k is pushing it...especially for that car.

i would saw CV joints are the more likely culprit, especially if it does it loud and hard acelerating out of turns. a CV joint is not a sudden thing though, it starts slow and as an occasional clunk, then gets worse and worse over time.

best advice since i cant hear or feel or look in person is take it to a different mechanic.

CV joints don't "clunk". They give a short snapping sound as the bearings shoot from one side to another & metal grinds.

It's a staccato POP POP POP POP POP POP if they're severely worn, in the beginning they're just a few pops anytime the joint is moved far off center (turning).

If *BLEEP* is clunking, check the engine & transmission mounts.